By The Thai Experience
Our gourmet version of street food is a huge hit with our clients, a skewer form of the classic chicken and cashew nut dish, its the perfect finger food for dinner parties.
Chicken Cashew Nut Skewer
Red and yellow bell peppers
Baby red onions
Chinese rice wine
1/4 of each
Sweet chili paste
1. Cut the chicken breasts in 2 cm cubes. Cover in flour, then egg and finally breadcrumbs. Deep fry at 180°C until lightly brown. Take out and reserve on a tray with paper towel.
2. Cut the bell peppers in 2 cm cubes. Reserve.
3. Re-hydrate the shiitakes in warm water for 5 minutes or until they are tender.
4. Cook the baby onions and bell pepers until lightly browned. Add a pinch of sugar, stir fry for 3 minutes, and de-glace with the Chinese wine. Continue stir frying until semi tender and reserve.
5. In a pot, combine all the sauce ingredients and slowly reduce until syrup consistency. Chop the cashew nuts to a fine gravel size.
6. Using a wet skewer, push through the chicken and the veggies. On the grill, quickly warm up the skewers, take them out and brush them with the sauce, and cover them with the chopped cashews. Plate them and finish with some finely chopped spring onions (use the green part).
For a vegetarian option, use tofu in place of the chicken